Saturday, May 23, 2015

Sweet Tooth



            “Now Justin, this is the third time I’ve had you in this year and it’s only February. Don’t you want to take care of your teeth and have a full, white, healthy smile?” The question was rhetorical.
            Justin (unfortunately) could not talk. There was already some type of numbing agent seeping into the holes in his gums, seeping away the sensations in almost every corner of his mouth, save for the section Dr. Sayeed was scraping vigorously.
            “I’m actually finding chunks of sweets inside of your cavities. This is no good. Thankfully this isn’t another cavity, you just popped out the filling from our January fiasco. One of the biggest fills I’ve ever had to do, I swear. Not to mention it was some of my finest work. In complete honesty, Justin, I have no idea how store bought fruit tape, or whatever it is you’re cramming in there managed to wriggle the damn thing loose but goodness me you’ve done a number on your pearly whites. Oh did I nick you there?”
            Dr. Sayeed droned on loudly. His conversational volume was Justin’s road rage volume.
            “Dental care isn’t cheap.”
            Justin tuned the doctor out, focusing more on counting the spots that manifested in his eyes from starting intently into the bright lamp poised right above his head. He wanted to be out, so badly. Maybe even get another dental hygienist. Surely someone else took his insurance, somewhere.
            “All done now. Have Patty up front schedule your follow up.”

No comments:

Post a Comment